Hammond-Harwood House, 19 Maryland Ave., is a preserved 1774 Anglo-Palladian villa, the last work of prominent English architect William Buckland. It was built in 1774 for patriot, legislator and planter Matthias Hammond and was later the home of Buckland's descendants. A museum since 1940, the house exhibits late 18th-century ceramics, enamels, furniture, glass and silver pieces. An 18th-century watercolor set, a period medicine chest, a surveyor's set of drafting tools, a delicate sewing kit, a pair of spectacles, a child's furniture set and kitchen artifacts are displayed.
The museum is home to a collection of paintings; more than a dozen works were done by the Peale family of artists. Eight are attributed to Charles Willson Peale, who was born in Maryland, studied painting in England and then returned to Maryland. A highlight is Peale's portrait of 6-year-old Anne Proctor, which is displayed next to the doll Peale painted in her hand.