AAA Editor Notes
U.S. Naval Academy can be accessed via pedestrian entrances on Randall and Prince George sts.; the visitor center is at 52 King George St. Covering 338 acres on the south side of the Severn River, the academy is the undergraduate college of the U.S. Navy. It was established in 1845 by Navy Secretary George Bancroft on the site of old Fort Severn. Guided walking tours and information are available at the Armel-Leftwich Visitor Center, which features the film “The Call to Serve,” the Graduates in Space exhibit, a display about John Paul Jones, a model of the USS Maryland and an original Dahlgren boat howitzer. The interactive Quarterdeck exhibit features the life and career options of midshipmen.
Noon formation is held weekdays during the school year before Bancroft Hall, weather and schedule permitting. Major attractions on the guided walking tour are Bancroft Hall, one of the largest student dormitories in the world; the U.S. Naval Academy Chapel; and the crypt of Revolutionary War naval hero John Paul Jones.
Note: All visitors ages 18 and older must show a valid (not expired) original (not a photocopy) U.S. government-issued photo ID or original passport to enter the U.S. Naval Academy grounds. Visitors from Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri, Washington and American Samoa must present a second photo ID.
Guided tours are available.