Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory and Botanic Gardens, in Druid Hill Park, which is in the n.w. section of the city at jct. Druid Park Lake Dr. and Gwynns Falls Pkwy., was built in 1888. The display area includes the original 1888 five-story Palm House as well as the Orchid Room, Mediterranean House, Tropical House and Desert House. A 1.5-acre garden east of the Palm House has thousands of tulips in spring and annuals and tropical plants June through October. Plants from around the world and seasonal displays also can be seen. A farmers market is held in summer.
Tours of the grounds and gardens are available by appointment. An audio tour by cellphone also is available. Special events are offered throughout the year.