Mount Vernon Place United Methodist Church is at 10 E. Mount Vernon Pl. at jct. N. Charles St. This 1872 green serpentine and gray stone church, on the site where Francis Scott Key died in 1843, exemplifies Victorian Gothic architecture. The ornately carved interior features an organ with 3,927 pipes. The pews, made of American walnut, were hand-carved by one artisan and took 7 years to complete.