AAA Editor Notes
St. John's Site Museum is on the campus of St. Mary's College of Maryland, adjacent to the grounds of Historic St. Mary's City, at 47645 Margaret Brent Way. The archeology and history of St. John's Freehold, a two-room home built in 1638 for Maryland's first provincial secretary John Lewger, are examined through artifacts, original artwork, exhibits and audio and video displays. During the 1660s Charles Calvert, the third Lord Baltimore, resided in the home. St. John's later served as an inn; it was abandoned and destroyed 1710-20. The home's excavated and preserved 1,400-square-foot foundation is adjacent to a modern gallery where visitors may learn about life on the Maryland frontier and the state's legacy of liberty.