AAA Editor Notes
Copp's Hill Burying Ground is at 21 Hull St. Founded in 1659 as Windmill Hill, Boston's second-oldest burying ground is the final resting place of numerous artisans and merchants; members of the Mather family of Puritan ministers; shipyard owner Edmund Hartt; and Robert Newman, who placed the signal lanterns in the steeple of the Old North Church on April 18, 1775. On the Snowhill Street side of the cemetery are the unmarked graves of thousands of African-Americans who resided in the New Guinean community once located at the base of Copp's Hill.
Time: Allow 15 minutes minimum.