AAA Editor Notes
Longfellow House-Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site is at 105 Brattle St. Built in 1759, this Georgian-style mansion was owned by merchant John Vassall until the British sympathizer fled to England at the brink of the Revolutionary War. Its strategic location on the Charles River led George Washington, then the commander in chief of the Continental Army, to select the house as his wartime headquarters.
In the 1800s, it became the residence of poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and his wife, Fanny. The couple frequently welcomed prominent guests—including Charles Dickens, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Oscar Wilde—into their elegant family home. Antiques, books, artwork and other period items are on display inside the historic mansion, which is only accessible by guided tour. The 2-acre estate also features a formal garden and a carriage house.
Guided tours are available.