AAA Editor Notes
Seamen's Bethel is at 15 Johnny Cake Hill, within New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park. Dedicated in 1832 as a nondenominational whalemen's chapel, the building features a ship's bow pulpit and the Old Salt Box meeting room. In the novel “Moby Dick,” Herman Melville described its cenotaphs—the stone tablets inscribed with the names of whalemen lost at sea since the 1840s.
Note: The chapel is closed for renovations until April 2017.
Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.