Convent of San Agustín Acolman is on Calzada de Los Agustinos, just off Mex. 132 at the entrance to the village. This large, fortresslike structure displays Mexico's first plateresque ecclesiastic facade. It was completed in 1560 and deteriorated over time before being restored. Two sets of columns, with the statue of a saint between each, flank the elaborate entrance.
Several of the inner courtyards are planted with orange trees, which perfume the air with their blossoms during winter and early spring. Small, stark dormitory rooms containing one bed, one chair and one small table show the frugal lifestyle lived by convent residents. Dozens of labyrinthine corridors throughout the convent lead to large assembly rooms and immense granaries. There are fine examples of Renaissance art, including somber frescoes in black and gray inks.
A small museum displays paintings and artifacts. Standing next to the building is a tall, beautiful church that dates from the same period. At Christmas the convent chapel provides the setting for nativity plays, or pastorelas. This is a delightful stop either en route to or returning from the pyramids at Teotihuacán.