AAA Editor Notes
St. Joseph’s Shrine is at 8743 US 12. The shrine sits at the site of an early religious settlement visited by Father Gabriel Richard, minister to the Potawatomi Indians. The church is a combination of an original fieldstone chapel, erected by Irish settlers in the 1850s, and a 1928 addition.
On the grounds are a life-size crucifixion group, a monument to early Irish settlers, a memorial to the Irish “Great Hunger” of the 1840s and an outdoor Stations of the Cross overlooking Iron Lake.