AAA Editor Notes
Beaumont Tower is on the Michigan State University campus in Building 12 on W. Circle Dr. The tower occupies the former site of College Hall, the country's first building used solely for teaching scientific agriculture. After two walls collapsed in 1918, though, the building had to be torn down. Thanks to alumnus John Beaumont, the site was properly marked in 1929 when the tower, a gathering place and a memorial to teaching, was completed.
The structure contains a 49-bell carillon; the bells' weights range from 15 pounds to 2.5 tons.
Guided tours are available.