AAA Editor Notes
Colonial Michilimackinac is on the site of Fort Michilimackinac. The fort comprises 27 acres. Built by the French in 1715, it was occupied by British forces 1761-81. Among the 13 reconstructed buildings are a priest’s house, a guardhouse, blockhouses, barracks, a storehouse, a blacksmith shop, a French church and a British trader’s house.
Costumed reenactments, an audiovisual program and exhibits illustrate the history of the fort. Other programs include blacksmithing and cooking demonstrations, musket and cannon firings, a Colonial wedding and dance, a Native American encampment, an archeological tunnel exhibit and the arrival of French voyageurs. Archeological excavations are conducted daily mid-June through Labor Day. Kids’ Rendezvous appeals to the younger crowd.
Food is available.