Cathedral is on the e. side of Plaza de Armas, facing Av. Madero. One of Mexico's most beautiful churches, it took more than a century (1640-1744) to build. Exterior highlights are the rose-colored stone facade, two elaborately decorated towers, and a colonial fence and gates.
Inside are religious relics and paintings as well as a magnificent three-story organ with 4,600 pipes, reputed to be one of the largest in the world. The cathedral is the site of the International Organ Festival, held annually in early May. A music program and fireworks display takes place every Saturday evening.