AAA Editor Notes
Episcopal Cathedral of Our Merciful Saviour is at 515 2nd Ave. N.W. Bishop Henry Whipple laid the cornerstone for this American Gothic-style cathedral in 1862. Noteworthy features include the bishop's chair and a stained-glass window showing a peace pipe superimposed on a broken tomahawk—a gift from the Dakota Indians, who were grateful for Whipple's efforts to protect their rights. A guided tour includes the Guild House, a Romanesque structure built in 1894, and the Cathedral Cloister, which connects the house to the cathedral.
Guided tours are available.