AAA Editor Notes
Rosswood Plantation is just s. of jct. US 61 and SR 552, then 2.4 mi. e. on Red Lick Rd. This restored 1857 Greek Revival mansion stands on what was a 1,250-acre cotton plantation prior to the Civil War. The home is furnished in period and features antiques, columned galleries and objects from around the world. Diaries written by Dr. Walter Ross Wade, the home's original owner, document the mansion's construction, describe balls and parties that were given and recount a Civil War battle during which the home was shelled by Union cannons. The house was later used as a hospital by both Confederate and Union sides.
Time: Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum.