Grand Village of the Natchez Indians is off US 61S at 400 Jefferson Davis Blvd. Beginning in 1682, this 128-acre village was the ceremonial center and chief settlement of the Natchez Indians. After the tribe attacked a French fort in 1729, the French retaliated and destroyed the village. A museum displays excavated artifacts, renovated mounds, a reconstructed hut and other interpretive exhibits that depict daily life. Wooded nature trails traverse the area. Temporary exhibits and educational programs also are offered.