AAA Editor Notes
First Presbyterian Church is at 605 Church St. (Walnut St.). The steeple is topped with a gold-leaf hand pointing the way to Heaven—the original was carved by a 17-year-old in 1859. After years of damage by weather and woodpeckers, it was replaced with a metal hand that measures 10 feet from the base to the tip of the finger and is 165 feet above the ground. Chandeliers retrieved from the steamboat Robert E. Lee adorn the Romanesque Revival building's interior.
Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.