Arrow Rock State Historic Site is 3 blks. n. of SR 41. A town founded in 1829 is preserved at the site. Located where the Santa Fe Trail met the Missouri River, the settlement thrived, with 1,000 residents by the 1860s. The population later dwindled with the declining importance of river traffic. A visitor center has exhibits interpreting the Boone's Lick region in the early 19th century. One-hour tram tours of the grounds are conducted by the Friends of Arrow Rock for a fee. Picnic areas and campsites are nearby.
Camping is permitted. Picnicking is permitted.
Hours: Grounds open daily 7 a.m.-10 p.m. Visitor center open daily 10-5, June-Aug.; daily 10-4, Mar.-May and Sept.-Nov.; Fri-Sun. 10-4, rest of year. Visitor center closed Jan. 1, Thanksgiving and Christmas.