Museum of Osteopathic Medicine is 1 mi. w. of US 63 in the Tinning Education Center of A.T. Still University at 800 W. Jefferson St. This museum traces the roots of osteopathic medicine beginning with its founder, Dr. Andrew Taylor Still, and his establishment of the first osteopathic medical school in 1892. His medical approach was based on the belief that the keys to healing lie within the body itself. Today 25,000 students study his techniques in 44 schools.
The museum's collections of photographs, documents and artifacts span more than 120 years. Included are 1800s surgical tools, osteopathic treatment equipment and a dissected human nervous system. Within Heritage Hall are Still's birthplace cabin, relocated from Virginia, and a one-room schoolhouse where the first lectures about osteopathy were held.