AAA Editor Notes
Black Madonna Shrine and Grottos is s. on SR 109 to SR FF, w. on SR FF to SR F, then s. on SR F to St. Joseph Hill Rd., following signs. This site was chosen in 1937 by Franciscan brother Bronislaus for a tribute to the Virgin Mary and to the Black Madonna shrine in his native Poland. He worked for 22 years to complete a cedar chapel and seven grottos of Missouri barite embedded with costume jewelry, rocks and seashells. The chapel later burned and was replaced by an open-air shrine.
A picnic pavilion is available.
Picnicking is permitted.