Borda Garden (Jardín Borda) is downtown, across Calle José María Morelos from the cathedral. They are part of the mansion, landscaped grounds and botanical gardens built by José de la Borda, a Frenchman who came to Mexico in 1716 and made a fortune in mining. Archduke Maximilian turned the palatial estate into his summer retreat in 1864. Borda is buried in the Church of Guadalupe (Parroquía de Guadalupe) next to the main house.
The gardens are laid out in a succession of terraces; maintenance is limited, but most plants are identified with labels. An art gallery in the front buildings features changing exhibits. Rowboats at a small man-made lake are available for rent. This is a quiet place to relax in the middle of the city.