AAA Editor Notes
Teopanzolco Pyramid (Pirámide de Teopanzolco) is e. of downtown just off Calle Río Balsas, at the jct. with Calle Ixcateopan; from Mexico City, take Av. Tlalpan s., then the Mex 95-D toll highway to Cuernavaca. Presumably built by the Aztecs, it was never completed. The remains were discovered in 1910 during the Mexican Revolution, when a large hill on the outskirts of Cuernavaca was used as a platform for attacks on the city. Tremors resulting from gunfire shook away some of the earth and revealed the ruins underneath.
The pyramidal base upon which twin temples once rested was constructed in the same style as other pyramids in central Mexico, such as the Great Temple (Templo Mayor) in Mexico City. The north temple was dedicated to the rain god Tlaloc, and the one on the south side to the war god Huitzilopochtli. A couple of signs in English provide a brief historical explanation. Because of its proximity to the city, this is a convenient archeological site to visit.