Fort Hartsuff State Historical Park is off SR 11, then 3.5 mi. n.w. to 82034 Fort Ave., following signs. The fort was built to protect local settlers and Pawnee Indians from raids by warring Sioux tribes. The parade ground is surrounded by nine restored lime/concrete buildings. Staffed 1874-81, the garrison is typical of an Indian Wars-era military post, with only a picket fence separating it from the untamed frontier.
The visitor center, housed in the old post headquarters building, offers interpretive displays and events in the summer. Phone ahead for event schedule.