AAA Editor Notes
Old Las Vegas Mormon Fort State Historic Park, at Washington Ave. and Las Vegas Blvd., is the site where an adobe fort was built by Mormons in 1855 to give refuge to travelers bound for California. After the departure of the Mormons in 1858, the site was developed as a ranch that provided blacksmith services and supplies to westward bound pioneers; it later became a railroad stop, prompting land speculation that transformed the town into what would become Las Vegas. A re-created late 19th-century Mormon living room is furnished with antiques and artifacts.
Educational programs are offered.