AAA Editor Notes
Beaubears Island National Historic Site is reached via boat from the interpretive center at 35 St. Patrick's Dr. The island, uninhabited for more than 100 years, was once home to impoverished Acadians expelled from Canada. Remains of slips and foundations are visible. Costumed guides take visitors on history and nature walks and offer background information about such important shipbuilding figures as William Davidson, Honourable J. Leonard O'Brien and Peter Mitchell, who was one of the Fathers of Confederation and owned the island from 1871 to 1893.
The interpretive center has displays about the village of Nelson, island shipbuilding, and Acadian and Mi'kmaq Indian history.
Guided tours are available.