AAA Editor Notes
Ministers Island Historic Site is accessible by car or ferry from Bar Rd., about 2 km (1.2 mi.) n. via Hwy. 127. Named for an Anglican minister who settled here in 1786, the island is the site of Covenhoven, the baronial summer home of Sir William Van Horne, first president of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Guided tours begin with a drive across a sand bar to the island during low tide or aboard a ferry during high tide and continue through the 50-room villa. A livestock barn and a bath house equipped with a tidal swimming pool can be viewed on request.
Visitors must provide their own transportation to the island during low tide.
Guided tours are available.