AAA Editor Notes
Portsmouth Historical Society Museum at the John Paul Jones House, at 43 Middle St. on the Portsmouth Harbour Trail, was built in 1758 by Capt. Gregory Purcell. After his death Purcell's widow operated the house as a genteel guesthouse. Most notable of her guests was Capt. John Paul Jones, who lived in the house while supervising the outfitting of the Ranger in 1777 and again in 1781 while the America was being built. China, silver, glass, portraits, costumes and a model of the Ranger are displayed.
Time: Allow 30 minutes minimum.