AAA Editor Notes
Strawbery Banke Museum is bounded by Marcy, Court, Washington and Hancock sts. The 10-acre historic waterfront neighborhood offers eight gardens and more than 30 buildings from the period 1695-1955, with costumed role-players and traditional craft demonstrations.
The 1777 William Pitt Tavern, 1780 Wheelwright House, 1795 Drisco House, 1815 Chase House, 1830 Rider-Wood House, 1872 Goodwin Mansion and 1919 Shapiro House have been restored and furnished in different periods to show the changes in lifestyle and architectural fashion over 350 years. The boyhood home of editor and author Thomas Bailey Aldrich, known as the Nutter House to readers of his book “The Story of a Bad Boy,” is another highlight.
Information about self-guiding tours, guided walking tours and holiday events is available at the Tyco Visitor Center at 14 Hancock St. An outdoor skating rink is open daily 9-9 December 1 through February. Special events and programs are offered year-round.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted. Food is available. Time: Allow 1 hour, 30 minutes minimum.