Old Barracks Museum is at 101 Barrack St. near the New Jersey State Capitol Complex. The army barracks, constructed in 1758, served as winter quarters for British “regulars” returning from fighting in the frontier regions of the French and Indian War. The structure also was occupied at various times by Hessian and Continental troops during the Revolutionary War. Following the Battles of Trenton, the barracks served as a military hospital for smallpox inoculations.
The museum offers 18th-century furnishings in restored officers' quarters, soldiers' barracks rooms and a hospital room. Rotating special exhibitions also are presented. Historical interpreters portray Trentonians circa 1777—including nurses, doctors and Continental Army soldiers—who describe the Battles of Trenton and medical techniques of the day.