Coronado Historic Site is 2 mi. w. on US 550 (old SR 44) to 485 Kuaua Rd. The 98-acre site includes ruins of the Tiwa pueblo of Kuaua. Lured by the Rio Grande's fertile land, an ancient tribe first settled Kuaua around 1300. The area is named for Francisco Vázquez de Coronado, whose army camped here in 1540 while searching for the fabled Cities of Gold. A kiva excavated in the 1930s features many layers of pre-Columbian art, some of which is displayed in the visitor center.