El Santuario de Chimayó is at the s.e. end of town via SR 76 to CR 98 (Juan Medina Rd.), then s. on CR 98 to 15 Santuario Dr., following signs. In 1810 Bernardo Abeyta, a farmer, was praying and claimed to see a light emanating from the soil. Upon investigation he found a cross, which is now kept inside the chapel. Legend maintains that the earth surrounding this cross has healing power. Many pilgrims come to touch the dirt in a pit inside the chapel, where castoff crutches and braces line the walls.