AAA Editor Notes
Fort Stanton Historic Site is w. of Lincoln on US 380, then s. on SR 220. Established in 1855 to protect settlers against Apache raids, the fort was later occupied by Confederate soldiers, John J. “Blackjack” Pershing, New Mexico volunteers under “Kit” Carson, and the Buffalo Soldiers. The Army abandoned the fort in 1896. A museum chronicles the fort’s history. Living-history events take place the third Saturday of each month (except July); among the re-enactment sites are an Apache encampment and the fort bakery and blacksmith.
Camping is permitted. Picnicking is permitted.