AAA Editor Notes
Palace of the Governors is on The Plaza at 105 W. Palace Ave. Built in 1610, this long, low adobe structure is a National Historic Landmark and is considered to be one of the oldest public buildings in the United States. It functioned as the seat of government under Spanish, Pueblo Indian, Mexican and U.S. territorial rule until 1909, when the building became the state history museum.
Four-foot-thick walls enclose period rooms with displays that chronicle nearly 400 years of New Mexico History. There are several open-pit excavation sites showing layers of foundations, different types of wall constructions and middens. Among the artifacts exhibited are ceramics, glassware, metal utensils, buttons, jewelry and weapons. The chapel room is a replica of a mid-19th century chapel with a simple, brightly colored altarpiece made in 1830.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 2 hours minimum.