AAA Editor Notes
Santuario de Guadalupe is 4 blks. w. of The Plaza at Agua Fria and Guadalupe sts. This 18th-century church is thought of as the nation's oldest shrine dedicated to Our Lady of Guadalupe. An interior highlight is the 1783 oil-on-canvas altar painting by Mexican baroque artist José de Alzibar. A meditation chapel contains religious-themed woodcarvings, and there is also a pictorial history room. On the grounds is the Plants of the Holy Land botanical garden. An 18th-century mission is at the end of El Camino Real.