AAA Editor Notes
San Miguel Mission is n. of the plaza at 403 El Camino Real. Its long history dates back to 1598, when Franciscan priest Juan de Oñate lead a band of several hundred colonists north from Mexico; the mission he founded was named Nuestra Señora del Socorro (Our Lady of Perpetual Help). The twin-towered adobe church, built in the early 19th century, remains an active parish; the original church was abandoned following the Pueblo Rebellion of 1680 and fell into ruins.
Changes to the building over the years include the addition of stained-glass windows and a side chapel. Hand-carved ceiling beams highlight the newly restored main sanctuary. The church celebrated its 400th anniversary in 2015. A collection of artifacts is displayed in the adjoining office.