AAA Editor Notes
Boldt Castle, on Heart Island, is accessible by ferry service, boat tours or private watercraft. The 120-room, six-story stone castle was begun in 1900 by George C. Boldt, the proprietor of New York's Waldorf Astoria hotel and Philadelphia's Bellevue-Stratford. Intended as a summer home for his wife, it was abandoned when she died in 1904, never to be furnished or occupied.
For more than 70 years the estate deteriorated to a state of almost complete disrepair. Restoration of the turreted castle, yacht house, towers, service buildings and gardens has been ongoing since 1977. Exhibits, including artifacts from the era and a video presentation, depict the lives of the Boldts and the development of the 1000 Islands. The grounds and formal Italian garden are well-maintained.
Picnicking is permitted. Food is available.