AAA Editor Notes
Frank Lloyd Wright's Darwin D. Martin House Complex is at 125 Jewett Pkwy. Only once in Wright's 72-year career as a practicing architect did he have the opportunity to design a residential complex that harmonized with the surrounding landscape. Built between 1903-05 for wealthy Buffalo clients Darwin and Isabelle Martin, these six buildings, currently nearing completion of a $50 million restoration, together comprise one of Wright's finest examples of prairie architecture.
Noteworthy among the details being restored are 394 art-glass windows in 15 different patterns and the furnishings Wright designed for the main house. Plants in the garden encircling the veranda were selected to ensure a year-round season of blooms, and the original landscaping includes wisteria vines and ginkgoes, one of Wright's favorite trees.
Also at this historic site are the Gardener's Cottage, a renovated 1909 building that Wright designed as an affordable home for a working-class family, and the Barton House, built in 1903 for Martin's sister and brother-in-law. The Toshiko Mori-designed Greatbatch Pavilion serves as a visitor welcome center for the complex and features exhibitions and a permanent gallery.
The 1-hour Martin House Tour visits the first floor of the Martin's house, the pergola, conservatory and carriage house. The 90-minute Martin House Expanded Tour includes the Barton House, areas of the first floor of the Martin's house, second floor master bedroom, pergola, Conservatory and Carriage House. The 2-hour Martin House Plus Tour expands on the standard tour with the addition of the second floor of the Martin House, the first and second floor of the Barton House and the Gardener's Cottage.
Guided tours are available. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.