AAA Editor Notes
Cape Ray Heritage Site & Lightkeeper's House is off Hwy. 1 Cape Ray exit, then 4 km (2.5 mi.) n.w. on Hwy. 408. Some 1,800 years ago Dorset Paleoeskimos camped here during their nomadic hunting trip. In 1856 the first telegraph cable connecting Newfoundland to North America was laid here; the event is commemorated with a plaque. A lighthouse has been on this site since 1870; the current one was built in 1959. Artifacts are displayed in the lightkeeper's house.
Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.