García Caves (Grutas de García) are n.w. of downtown Monterrey via Mex. 40. A paved road runs to the caves, which are about 8 km (5 mi.) east of the village of Villa de García. Discovered about 1843 by parish priest Juan Antonio Sobrevilla, these caves are among the largest and most beautiful in Mexico. Their estimated age is 50 to 60 million years; it is presumed the caves were once submerged due to the shellfish fossils scattered over the walls and ceilings. Ten “rooms” contain stalagmite and stalactite formations.
A swimming pool, restaurants, and picnic and recreational areas cluster at the foot of the mountain where the caves are located. From the parking area, a cable car transports visitors past rugged scenery to the cavern entrance, tucked high on the side of a cliff. The cement passageways connecting the caves are well lighted.