AAA Editor Notes
Old Garrison Church (St. Thomas'), on Military Rd., was built in 1836 and is one of the oldest wooden churches in Newfoundland. First used by the military, the church still displays the Hanoverian coat of arms that was the royal symbol for British troops stationed in St. John's until 1870. The church also has its original 1847 bell, which was cast in London by the same company that cast Big Ben.
Guided tours are available.