Beaufort Historic Site, 130 Turner St., offers guided building tours led by docents in period dress. All tours depart from the Beaufort Historical Association Welcome Center. Tours include the 1796 Carteret County Courthouse; the 1829 county jail; an 1859 apothecary shop; the 1778 Samuel Leffers Cottage, a typical early fisherman's cottage; the 1825 Josiah Bell House, which is furnished in Victorian fashion and has a formal side garden; and the John C. Manson house, a Bahamian-type house furnished in the Federal style. The 1732 Rustell House serves as an art gallery. Historic district bus tours and Old Burying Ground cemetery walking tours also are offered.
Hours: Mon.-Sat. 9:30-5, Mar.-Nov. (also Sun. noon-4, June-Aug.); Mon.-Sat. 10-4, rest of year. Rustell House open Mon.-Sat. 10-4. Historic district bus tours and Old Burying Ground cemetery walking tours are offered Mon.-Sat.; phone for schedule.