AAA Editor Notes
Mint Museum Randolph, 2730 Randolph Rd., is housed in what served as the first branch of the U.S. Mint from 1837 to 1861. Before it was dismantled and moved to its present site in 1933, the Greek Revival building served as a Confederate hospital, an assay office and a federal courthouse.
The permanent collection features pre-Columbian, Spanish colonial and early North American works of art. Other highlights include European paintings and sculpture, period costumes, historic North Carolina pottery and gold coins minted in Charlotte. The museum's pottery and porcelain collection is impressive. Also of note are the coronation portraits of King George III and Queen Charlotte, the British monarchs who reigned during the American Revolutionary War.
Items in the Delhom Collection range from ancient Chinese ceramics to late 18th-century English and continental European wares. Changing exhibits are regularly presented, and the museum also has a student artists' gallery.