Historic Johnson Farm is at 3346 Haywood Rd. In 1874 the Johnson Farm was purchased as a tobacco farm. It became a popular summer retreat for tourists during the Depression era. The site now operates as a farm museum and hands-on heritage learning center. Visitors may tour the 1880 farmhouse, the 1920 boarding house and the 1923 barn-loft museum. Two nature trails and 15 acres of fields, forests and streams also are on site.
Guided tours are available. Picnicking is permitted. Time: Allow 1 hour minimum.
Hours: Mon.-Fri. 9-4, Sept.-May; Mon.-Thurs. 9-4, rest of year. Guided tours of the farmhouse, boarding house and barn are given at 10:30 and 1:30; phone ahead to confirm schedule. Closed major holidays.