John Blue Complex is at 13040 X-Way Rd. The highlight here is the circa 1890 John Blue House, distinguished by two-tiered wraparound porches that give it the appearance of a “riverboat on land.” This was also the first house in the area to have electric lights and running water. Furnished with loaned and donated antiques, it has ornate trim and moldings throughout.
Buildings relocated to the site include several cabins, a parson's study, a country store, a cotton gin and a sawmill. The buildings and a miniature passenger train are open to the public during three annual festivals held at the complex: the Storytelling Festival the fourth weekend in April, the Scotland County Highland Games the first weekend in October and the John Blue Cotton Festival the second weekend in October.
Guided tours of the John Blue House are given Tues.-Sat. 10-noon and 1-4; other times by appointment. Phone ahead to inquire about viewing other buildings at the site. Closed major holidays. Allow 30 minutes minimum.