North Carolina State Capitol, on Union Sq. at 1 E. Edenton St., is a restored Greek Revival structure built 1833-40 that houses the governor's office as well as historic rooms, artwork and exhibits. The 19th-century house and senate chambers feature period wall colors, decorative finishes, original furniture and paintings. The restored State Library Room and State Geology Office reflect an 1850s appearance.
Of particular note is the centerpiece of the rotunda—a replica of the neoclassic marble sculpture of George Washington. Commissioned by the state in 1815 and created by Italian artist Antonio Canova, the original sculpture was destroyed by fire in 1831 when the State House burned. A bronze statue of the first president also is displayed on Union Square, along with 14 other statues and monuments, most of them works in bronze on stone bases.