House in the Horseshoe State Historic Site is 12 mi. w. on SR 42, then 4 mi. s. on SR 2307, following signs. Built in 1772 on a horseshoe bend of the Deep River, this two-story frame plantation house still bears the scars and bullet holes from a Revolutionary War skirmish. Benjamin Williams, a four-term governor of North Carolina, acquired the house in 1798 and died on the plantation in 1814. The interior is furnished with period antiques and is distinguished by elaborate woodwork.