AAA Editor Notes
Historic House Museums are e. off US 1 .4 mi. to 110 W. Morganton Rd. (at Broad St.). This small complex of historic homes and outbuildings is representative of the hearty Scottish settlers who first settled the region. The largest is the Shaw House, dating from around 1820 and still standing at its original location. Interesting interior details include original paint on the parlor walls, mantel carvings and period furniture once owned by Moore County families.
Other structures relocated to this site from their original rural Moore County locations include the one-room Britt Sanders Cabin, which has a stacked river rock chimney, and the Garner House, a two-bedroom cabin with a second floor and original furnishings. Also on the site are a corn crib, shed and tobacco barn. Docents give guided tours of the buildings and provide information about the families and the antiques on display.
Guided tours are available.