AAA Editor Notes
St. James Episcopal Church is at 25 S. 3rd St. Built in 1729, it was used by the British as a riding school during the Revolutionary War. The church was rebuilt in 1839 according to a design by T.U. Walter, architect of the U.S. Capitol dome and wings. Hanging inside is “Ecce Homo,” a Spanish painting taken from a captured ship in 1748.