AAA Editor Notes
Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site, at the e. edge of town, was one of the first federal forts in North Dakota. Established in 1858 to protect wagon trains and Red River traffic, it was besieged by the Sioux for about a month during the Dakota Conflict of 1862. The fort includes the original guardhouse; the blockhouses, palisade and cannon bastion have been reconstructed. An interpretive center is on the site.