AAA Editor Notes
Fort Buford State Historic Site is 4 mi. w. of jct. US 2/85, then 22 mi. s.w. on SR 1804, then just n.e. of jct. SR 58 at 15349 39th Ln. N.W. Established in 1866, the fort is best known for its role in the war against the Sioux and as the site of the surrender of Chief Sitting Bull and his people in 1881. Chief Joseph and 400 members of the Nez Perce were held at Fort Buford after their surrender in the Bear Paw Mountains. The original stone powder magazine, officers' quarters (now a museum) and post cemetery are at the site. Demonstrations of period skills are given.